Hurricane-resistant windows are also known as storm-proof windows. They are composed of resilient, impact-resistant glass which contains a layer of PVB (polyvinyl butyral) sandwiched between two panes of glass. The inner-membrane window is the most effective type of impact-resistant window.
While hurricane-resistant glass isn’t entirely shatter proof; on impact, it will remain attached to its inner membrane along with the entire window frame. This means you won’t have shards of glass thrown into the indoor spaces at great force. But you do have the option of using a shatter-resistant film that completely covers the window panes; this prevents glass from shattering. We at Diversified Glass and Mirror can provide all types of hurricane window installations on residential as well as commercial properties.
Hurricane impact glass windows cost
Many people don’t install hurricane-impact glass on their windows as they feel it may be prohibitively expensive to do so. And it’s a fact that installing these windows can increase your home’s overall construction cost. However, you need to keep in view the fact that they offer great protection during hurricanes and stormy seasons. Getting this glass installed on your windows is also a great way to reduce your house insurance cost.
There is a wide variation in hurricane impact glass window costs depending on the location of your home, the brand of windows you choose, and the company you hire for the job. However, here is some information on how much you can expect to pay for your hurricane windows:
- A good hurricane window will cost between $40 and $55 per sq ft
- Some market statistics show that installing hurricane windows, increases the overall construction cost of your new home only by a few thousand dollars.
- On average, hurricane impact doors sized- 60 inches x 80 inches can cost about $1,900 and sliding windows sized- 72 inches X 80 inches can cost around $1950.
- Single hung window prices can be in the range of $500-$600, only for the material.
The benefits of hurricane-resistant windows
When you compare these costs to the cost of standard windows, they may seem considerably high. But as mentioned earlier, the protection these windows provide your home or commercial property outweigh the costs of these installations. Take a look at the benefit of installing hurricane-resistant windows:
- Impact-resistant windows that are manufactured with polyvinyl membranes in their middle layer are capable of withstanding stormy winds of up to 200 mph. This means they provide very good protection to your home in case a hurricane hits the area.
- These windows also improve the energy efficiency to your home
- Block 99% of transmitted UV rays of the sun
- They also help insulate the indoor spaces from outdoor sound disturbance.
- Available in different styles and sizes
- These high strength windows prevents the glass from becoming broken up into larger sharp pieces
- Provide permanent protection against hurricanes, storms and tornados
For more information on hurricane impact window installation and replacement services, feel free to call Diversified Glass and Mirror on (954) 809-5699 or use this online form to send us your project details and we will revert shortly.